How to choose topic for research paper?
- 1 year ago
To choose a research topic, follow the following steps:
1. Choose a topic area that interests you. Example: beer
2. Take your topic area and describe it more specifically. Example: beer and microorganisms
3. Name a specific aspect of the specific topic. Example: the quality of beer and the quality of microorganisms needed to brew it proper
4. To narrow down the focus of your topic, follow the following three steps:
· Write down additional specific about your topic. Example: brewing quality tasting beer and the health of the colonies of yeast used to brew small batches of beer properly.
· Turn your topic into a sentence that is a statement. Example: The quality of small batches of beer is affected by the overall health of the yeast used during fermentation.
· Now add "fine" focus to your statement by making a statement that can (although it does not necessarily need to) refer back to your research. Example: A survey of microbrewers suggests that beer taste is equally affected by the health of yeast used during fermentation as it is by the quality of the grains used.
5. Use the library or access the internet to research your topics. Look for sources that can help broaden, modify, or strengthen your initial thoughts and arguments.
6. Review related literature to help refine how you will approach examining the topic and finding a way to analyze it.
7. Assuming you've done an effective job of synthesizing and thinking about the results of your initial search, you're ready to prepare a detailed outline of your paper.